The Coraline Controversy
Thursday, January 6, 2006
I am writing to say that I have failed at something, something that I have worked dearly hard on, the screenplay for the film Coraline, my favourite novel as a child. Let me tell you the tale of how I discovered this novel. It was back in my acting days when I hoped to do my art and become a director some day. I was at my acting training and yet did not listen very well. I saw that there was a door to another room; a door that could change my life on how it reflects to this day. I opened the door and went inside for they did not care and I looked and saw old scripts and Gothic novels by Edgar Allan Poe and others; when I suddenly came across a novel that I would love; forever more. I saw the book called Coraline and wished to read it, that I did. I read it and saw that it rang me a chill down my spine and I loved the novel. Each day I would read it from where I left off. I did that for about a month (I was a slow reader; not much education) and that was probably what turned me on to a world of dark and yet witty fantasies. So you may see, diary, that this was one of the few firsts that had me begin doing what I do and yet fail to do. Eras passed, and I decided that I would turn it into a movie. I planned the musical numbers (only two, actually) the cast (Dakota Fanning, Sigourney Weaver, and Christopher Lee as the narrator) and drew various settings. I hoped that it would be my movie that I would be doing, and I hoped that someday, if the film came out; he would be watching it in pride and I would feel something occasionally felt, pride as well; for myself. And yet I later decided that I would assign the master Henry Selick, who did a nice job on Tim Burton’s the nightmare before Christmas and a good job on Roald Dahl’s James and the giant peach to do the directing, but that would be it, I would do the writing of the screenplay, produce it (as Casanova Shamdil) and compose the music. I later tried to write the screenplay, but I threw it out knowing that I needed to work on my comics. A few months later I am on the imdb movie database, seeing what is going to become a film; and I finally see that next year, it is going to be a film. My eyes widen and I think Dear Lord, it’s happening! And click on the link to see what’s what. I discover that Henry Selick, my choice of director, is making the film (of course, at the time I think that he is only is the director) and then I see something even more ironic: Dakota Fanning is doing the voice…Coraline! I think, holy shit! As if irony can have any other definition! I can’t believe it, and I cannot stand it; but later I see something even more shocking. I was looking at Neil Gaiman’s sight and I see on his journal that something that brings the tears to me as I weep and write this at the same time: “Henry has ideas for basically…everything from the cast to the songs (songs?) He wants it to be faithful and smart and spooky and funny and…
I cannot go on for there was something even more horrible than I imagined. I looked on Henry’s page at Vinton Studios or whatever the hell they call it. I saw that it said he was directing and…writing the film. It broke me. The film has the needed things, EVERYTHING thing that I wanted; the only thing it’s missing is…me, which I really wanted to write the screenplay. I am still going to finish the screenplay, screw Henry Selick. For all I know that fucking dick weed can do whatever the hell he wants to do but I am still going to write the screenplay, and although I haven’t published anything yet; I hope to get comics published and I hope to have some success with this film.
Finally, months and months later, I submit my screenplay to which I tried so hard on, and it is rejected. Rejected due to unsolicited material. It sickens me so. I see these horrible visions of Selick’s vision of Coraline.
And ''When I saw the book for the first time it looked Gothic, haunting, and surreal. Only the cover made me pick it up and when I began reading it filled my dreams with nightmarish illusions. But when I see Henry Selick's views of the film's setting, music, etc.-it is as if that entire vision has been shattered.”
I wish so that I could boycott the film yet no one has listened. This is shit.
-Sir Nick Stefanovic
I am writing to say that I have failed at something, something that I have worked dearly hard on, the screenplay for the film Coraline, my favourite novel as a child. Let me tell you the tale of how I discovered this novel. It was back in my acting days when I hoped to do my art and become a director some day. I was at my acting training and yet did not listen very well. I saw that there was a door to another room; a door that could change my life on how it reflects to this day. I opened the door and went inside for they did not care and I looked and saw old scripts and Gothic novels by Edgar Allan Poe and others; when I suddenly came across a novel that I would love; forever more. I saw the book called Coraline and wished to read it, that I did. I read it and saw that it rang me a chill down my spine and I loved the novel. Each day I would read it from where I left off. I did that for about a month (I was a slow reader; not much education) and that was probably what turned me on to a world of dark and yet witty fantasies. So you may see, diary, that this was one of the few firsts that had me begin doing what I do and yet fail to do. Eras passed, and I decided that I would turn it into a movie. I planned the musical numbers (only two, actually) the cast (Dakota Fanning, Sigourney Weaver, and Christopher Lee as the narrator) and drew various settings. I hoped that it would be my movie that I would be doing, and I hoped that someday, if the film came out; he would be watching it in pride and I would feel something occasionally felt, pride as well; for myself. And yet I later decided that I would assign the master Henry Selick, who did a nice job on Tim Burton’s the nightmare before Christmas and a good job on Roald Dahl’s James and the giant peach to do the directing, but that would be it, I would do the writing of the screenplay, produce it (as Casanova Shamdil) and compose the music. I later tried to write the screenplay, but I threw it out knowing that I needed to work on my comics. A few months later I am on the imdb movie database, seeing what is going to become a film; and I finally see that next year, it is going to be a film. My eyes widen and I think Dear Lord, it’s happening! And click on the link to see what’s what. I discover that Henry Selick, my choice of director, is making the film (of course, at the time I think that he is only is the director) and then I see something even more ironic: Dakota Fanning is doing the voice…Coraline! I think, holy shit! As if irony can have any other definition! I can’t believe it, and I cannot stand it; but later I see something even more shocking. I was looking at Neil Gaiman’s sight and I see on his journal that something that brings the tears to me as I weep and write this at the same time: “Henry has ideas for basically…everything from the cast to the songs (songs?) He wants it to be faithful and smart and spooky and funny and…
I cannot go on for there was something even more horrible than I imagined. I looked on Henry’s page at Vinton Studios or whatever the hell they call it. I saw that it said he was directing and…writing the film. It broke me. The film has the needed things, EVERYTHING thing that I wanted; the only thing it’s missing is…me, which I really wanted to write the screenplay. I am still going to finish the screenplay, screw Henry Selick. For all I know that fucking dick weed can do whatever the hell he wants to do but I am still going to write the screenplay, and although I haven’t published anything yet; I hope to get comics published and I hope to have some success with this film.
Finally, months and months later, I submit my screenplay to which I tried so hard on, and it is rejected. Rejected due to unsolicited material. It sickens me so. I see these horrible visions of Selick’s vision of Coraline.
And ''When I saw the book for the first time it looked Gothic, haunting, and surreal. Only the cover made me pick it up and when I began reading it filled my dreams with nightmarish illusions. But when I see Henry Selick's views of the film's setting, music, etc.-it is as if that entire vision has been shattered.”
I wish so that I could boycott the film yet no one has listened. This is shit.
-Sir Nick Stefanovic

0 Comments:
Enregistrer un commentaire
<< Home